Well, as most of you know, I did get to go back to the states for Christmas break. Very thankful for the Lord's provision. I had a good visit with Shelby and some great friends. It was good to be with my "church" family. I have missed them. When I arrived at the Valdosta airport, they were all there. It was such a happy surprise.
I arrived back in Suriname January 4. The students came back on the 7th. It was so good to see them. I had missed them. Although, that first day back, I only had 8 out of the 16 that are on roll. Some took an extended vacation. :). We quickly fell back into a routine. I am loving these first graders. There is never a dull moment in our class. One of my students will be leaving this week. He is returning to Italy. My heart is going to break! I love that boy. He played hangman with me one day. I could NOT guess the word. I got down to just two spaces left. He then looked at me with this sly grin and said, "Now I give you a word in English." LOL. It never occurred to me the word he gave me was Italian! ;-)
Tidbits since my last update:
- Got a new student in January. He is from America.
- Driving on the left side of the road still terrifies me. I avoid driving as much as possible.
- I am able to join my home church service on Friday nights thanks to Google hangout. IT is my life line.
- Finally beginning to adjust to life here. Still haven't quite found my niche, but it is definitely feeling a little more like home. Bringing back a few homey touches from the states for my room here has helped to make it a little more comfortable.
- I've not been able to post a lot of pictures lately because my laptop has died. It is hard for me to upload them to facebook from my phone.
- I eat at McDonald's here WAY more than I ever did back in the states. Here, they serve spicy fried chicken. It is so good. I went one day last week, and they were OUT of chicken. I nearly had a melt down right in front of the worker. lol.
- Still having trouble shopping cheaply for groceries here. I just can't quite get the hang of it. Maybe if I ate differently.....
- A few weeks ago, it hailed here in Suriname. A very unusual occurrence. The locals said the last time it hailed was over 70 years ago. All the neighbors were out side in it. I couldn't understand what they were saying. But based on their voice tones, they sounded excited and awe struck. Yes, I was outside with them. :)
- The thing I find I am missing the most: a bath tub. Bath tubs are not common here. And there are some days that would just end much better if I were able to take a nice long, hot bubble bath. :)
- Went to my first foreign birthday party. It was fun! One of my Brazilian students. The invite said 5 to 7. My American mind would interpret that as "arrive at 5 and leave at 7". Nope. It meant, arrive between 5 and 7. You stay as late as you like or until the party ends...whichever comes first. ;) A lot of good food!
- My introverted self is trying very hard to be a little more extroverted. But I must say, when faced with the choice to read or socialize....sometimes reading just has to win. You know? :)
Overall, things are going well. I am learning to completely trust in the Lord. There are times I feel very insecure and wonder what I am doing. BUT one thing I do know for sure, I am suppose to be here. I just need to remember that He will equip me and give me what I need to do what He has sent me to do.
When you pray, please remember me and my sweet students.
Blessings to you all, sweet friends!