Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Update and Random Thoughts

It is hard to believe that I have been living on another continent for almost 3 1/2 months!  Sometimes, when I am walking down the street, I shake my head in amazement to think I am walking on non USA ground. Things are going well and I am adjusting to life in a foreign land. Here are some random thoughts for you about my time here so far.

  • ketchup & mayo:  when you order french fries here, they give you both ketchup & mayo to dip your fries in. At first I was grossed out. Then one day, I was like, "what the heck". I am now a fan of the dynamic duo. When in Rome... and all. 
  • rain, rain go away.  We are in the small rainy season now. It rains almost daily. I don't mean a light drizzle. But what my granny use to call a "frog strangler".  The only good thing about the rain is the temperature is a wee bit cooler. Still in the 80's, but not nearly as hot as the previous months. 
  • men peeing.  Yes, you read that right. It is quite common to see a man urinating on the side of road, next to a building, in a ditch, etc. I have learned that when I see a man standing still with his hands in front of him to NOT look. Oi Vey. 
  • time change.  In the states, time fell back one hour. Not so here. So now, there I am 2 hours ahead of my Georgia & Florida people and 3 hours ahead of my Alabama people. Makes talking to my baby-bear more of a challenge.
  • stores. On nearly every street corner, well, it seems that way, is a Chinese store. It is a small store, much like a convenience store in the states, owned (usually) by Chinese people. Everyone around here calls them Chinese stores or China shop. They sell everything from milk to shower curtains. There is a smaller one around the corner from my house. I had my first harassment incident there a few days ago. A man that I passed on the road turned around and followed me in to the store. I did not realize it until he was right next to me. He started saying how he liked white skinned women, I was pretty, etc, etc, I am just trying to figure out how to get away from him. He starts saying some ugly things and making an ugly gesture. I am praying for a way out. And I say the only thing that comes to mind, "I follow Jesus, I don't do those things."  hahaha. yup. That was all I could come up with. He finally turned around and left. 
  • Typical school day.  My day usually starts at 5:15 am. I try to be out the door and on my way to school by 6:05.  Teachers have to be there by 7 and school starts at 7:30.  Children leave at 2:00 and teachers stay until 2:30. However, you know teachers, we never leave on time. Most of us hang around longer. Most days I do try to leave at 3:00. But Wednesdays I stay later because I help with the after school Bible club.  When I get home, I usually just rest by either reading a book, or watching something on Netflix. Most nights I am asleep by 9pm.  What a boring life I lead. But I like it. It suits this introvert just fine. 
  • Restaurants.  Not a lot of variety. I don't eat out very often. I have eaten at a few Chinese places. Of course I found McDonald's and Popeye's. Funny because I rarely eat at McD's in the states. But here in Suriname, they have spicy fried chicken. And it is very good. That is my go to place. :) I finally ate at Popeye's a few weeks ago. It was really good. They also have a Pizza Hut here.
  • Doctor's offices.  Going to the doctor here is definitely different then the states. First, there are no appointments. You just show up, take a number and wait. Their hours are typically 7 or 8 am until 11, then from 5 to 7pm.  When it is your turn, you go in to the doctor's office. NOT an exam room. They do not take your temperature, blood pressure or weight. Nothing. They do not take a medical history. You tell them what is wrong and then they write a prescription or lab orders. In my case, it was lab orders to have my thyroid levels checked. She did not touch me. Did not exam my neck for a goiter, did not listen to my heart beat or my breathing. So very different.  On the upside, because of the insurance I have, I did not have to pay anything out of pocket at the doctor's or the lab. :) Silver lining. 
  • HEAT. Have I mentioned the heat yet? Oh. My. Word. I just thought south Georgia was hot. I have never sweated so much in my life! It doesn't take much to break a sweat here. Just walking across the room will cause a massive down pour. I have got to find me heavy duty deodorant when I come state side. (yes, I went there.)
Well, there you have it. My random thoughts on Suriname.  Please keep me in your prayers. I have the nations right in my classroom. And it is my desire these precious little ones and their parents see the love of Christ in me.   Also, I would love to be able to come home for Christmas break. However, funds are a bit tight and the round trip flight a little more than I had anticipated. Please be in prayer that IF it is God's will I come home for a break, that He will provide.  Miss you all very much!  Enjoy those cooler temperatures you are now getting. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment